Kaelan Gregory King
We are so happy to have this little guy in our lives. He changes so quickly, it's only been two weeks and already I feel like he looks like a completely different baby. I need to give credit to a friend for the photos in this post. Joslyn, a friend and neighbor came to the hospital and captured some truly priceless moments, she also took some baby/family pics a week later. I'm so glad she came to the hospital, I was a little worried it would be weird having her there during the birth, or shortly thereafter. But it wasn't at all, and I'm so grateful I have the pictures she got. Like I said, priceless.
So, for our story. I went in for a regular check up Monday morning, and was dilated to a whopping 1. However that afternoon I noticed a change in my contractions. By that evening they were pretty regular. We went to dinner with some friends and by the time we got back I just had this feeling he was coming that night. So, in a calm sort if panic I began to finish packing the bag and clean up, wanting to be prepared. By 11 I was pretty dang sure it was the real deal, the contractions were 4 minutes a part or less. So I called my midwife (who delivers at the hospital) and she kindly told me not to get my hopes up. She reminded me that I was only at a 1 that morning and that I had a lot of time ahead of me. She encouraged me to wait it out. By 1 am I was ready to go in. So we went to the hospital, where I was told I was at a 3. They also encouraged me to go home and labor as much there as I could. We went home and came back at about 4:45 am, at which point I was at a 5-6. They admitted us and I got in the jacuzzi tub, which was great. By the time I got out at about 7 I was at an 8. Now, I had wanted to go the natural route, but at this point I got really nervous about the pushing. I was so tired and was afraid the pushing was going to be way too intense. The midwife checked me again and I was still sitting at an 8. During the check she accidentally broke my water, which was a shocker for both of us. So at this point I asked for something, they gave me a half dose of something called nubain (sp?) Which lasted less then an hour. But it was great. It really allowed me to rest between contractions. Which I was glad for later during the pushing. Once it wore off I wanted more, but it was time to push and they couldn't give any that close to delivery. Pushing was so much harder than I imagined. Well actually everything was harder than I imagined. :) But somehow you do it. An hour and 15 minutes later he was here. It was one of the most joyous moments of my life. It's amazing, life, and how we all end up here. There were moments where he scared us during the pushing, he heart rate dipping and disappearing completely at times. After I thought, it's a miracle any of us make it. There are so many things that can go wrong, it really brought to my attention that the hand of God is in all things. This is his work, bringing these babies into the world. While being the most difficult thing I have ever done, it was surely hard. I'm glad that everything went as I planned, it was a good experience. Not that I'm volunteering to do it again soon. I know most of you are really interested in pictures, so enjoy the ones below.
6lbs 8 oz 19 in











Yeah! I am glad I got to hear the birth story I never remembered to ask! Thanks for the Plug :)
ReplyDeleteAww! Congrats you two!! He is so cute, I love the pictures!
ReplyDeleteHe is so little! I am so glad everything went well! The whole experience is an amazing one!
ReplyDeleteJen, he is just precious. I am so happy for you guys!
ReplyDelete